The basic function of this position is to implement and evaluate all nursing activities for a specific area of a nursing unit in conjunction with the head nurse or charge nurse of the unit.
This part-time/full-time/temporary position is for a Skilled Nursing Facility in Stockton, CA.
- Functions under the right guidelines issued by the Board of Vocational Nursing at all times.
- Accepts responsibilities delegated by the head nurse or team leader; assesses, plans, implements and evaluates the nursing care provided in the area assigned.
- Exhibits leadership in the interpretation and application of the philosophy and objectives of nursing service at the facility assigned; applies skills of staff assigned to his/her responsibility and makes team decisions.
- In a primary care nursing setting, is responsible for total patient care, including medications, orders, assessments, treatments and individual patient care plan.
- Maintains accurate patient clinical records, executes physicians’ orders, and keeps accurate problem-oriented nurse’s notes, which reflect the patient’s condition, response to treatment, progress, and assessment in accordance with accepted nursing standards.
- Assists the physician with procedures and treatments; administers treatments, including sterile procedures within scope of license.
- Participates in team conferences.
- Performs patient care within the principles of nursing, reporting pertinent observations, complaints, or conditions to the team leader, head nurse, or physician.
- Ability to participate and communicate effectively patient’s concerns to other nursing staff, medical staff, auxiliary personnel, and family members.
- LVNs may not care for intravenous sites or IV medications without state IV certification and facility policy permission.
- Accepts responsibilities delegated by the head nurse or team leader within the LVN scope of practice.
- Practices cost-effective use of equipment and supplies.
- Participates in and initiates BCLS when necessary.
The physical effort routinely required to accomplish work activities includes lifting and transferring clients (ability to lift at least 50 pounds), prolonged standing and walking, frequent bending and reaching, ability to move heavy objects, visual acuity, aural acuity, manual dexterity, the ability to write legibly, and the ability to perform and maintain CPR certification.
Exposed intermittently to infectious disease, radiation, and chemical and biological hazards.
Must practice in accordance with the standard of nursing practice at all times.
Individual client job descriptions with units’ specific requirements and instructions are generally available at each facility. Staff are expected to review these upon assignment.
Client facilities of varied sizes and available equipment. Duties may vary depending upon client facility policy. Nurses may be exposed to communicable diseases and may be assigned to patients in isolation. Nurses may be exposed to infectious waste including radioactive waste material from nuclear medicine. Will have a working knowledge of universal precautions.
- Current active Licensed Vocational Nurse license in the state of assignment.
- Must have at least one (1) year validated experience plus IV certification.
- Health Screening Requirements.
- Reliable transportation / current driver’s license.
- Two (2) positive work references.
- Favorable criminal background check.
- Satisfactory 90 day and annual evaluations.
- Ability to read English and to chart in English.
- FCNSI / JCAHO / CALOSHA Mandates satisfied.
Education and Training:
- Graduate of an accredited school of Vocational Nursing.
- CPR upon hire and annual renewal and advanced certificate as required.
- Client-specific training.
- State IV Certification required.