School nurses are responsible for assessing students who experience illness or injury while in school and determining if a higher level of care is needed. School nurses are governed at a state level so requirements within a state should be identical for all school nurses. In California, a school nurse services credential candidate must have a bachelor’s degree or higher from a college or university approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Holders of the School Nurse Services credential are authorized to perform the following services:
- Conduct immunization programs pursuant to California Education Code
- Assess and evaluate the health and developmental status of pupils
- Interpret the health and developmental assessment to parents, teachers, administrators, and other professionals directly concerned with the pupil
- Design and implement individual student health maintenance plans, incorporating plans directed by a physician
- Refer the pupil and parent or guardian to appropriate community resources for necessary services
- Maintain communication with parents and all involved community practitioners and agencies to promote needed treatment and secure reports of findings pertinent to educational planning
- Interpret medical and nursing findings appropriate to the student’s individualized education program and make recommendations to professional personnel directly involved
- Consult with, conduct in-service training for, and serve as a resource person to teachers and administrators
- Develop and implement the health education curriculum
- Act as a participant in implementing a comprehensive health instruction curriculum for students
- Counsel and assist pupils and parents in health-related and school adjustment services
- Teach health-related subjects under the supervision of a classroom teacher
Work With Us
Our first requirement is 1 year of acute care experience within the last 3 years. Before beginning your application, you will need to have detailed information regarding your Credentials, Employment History, Professional References and Education. However, you do not have to complete the entire application in one session.
We are looking for Registered Nurses, Licensed Vocational Nurses, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapist, Care Giver Assitant, Certified Nursing Assitant, Surgical Technologist and so much more.